Don't Have an Account? Sign Up to Save Favorite Listings, Save Searches & More...
Welcome to the historic Lafayette House, named for the famous Revolutionary Frenchman, the Marquis de Lafayette, who visited Alexandria in 1824 and stayed at this gracious brick residence during his visit. The house is entirely free standing with private walled gardens to the south of the house and off street parking for three cars. Built in 1815-1817 by Thomas Lawrason, it has been home to a number of notable historic families, including Lawrence and Nelly Custis Lewis, who was the granddaughter of Martha Washington. The house is built in the Federal style, with a grand entrance hall stretching 34 feet, with twelve foot ceilings, archways and two doors to the double parlors, each with wood burning fireplaces, original heart pine floors and original mahogany pocket doors to separate the rooms as needed. Through the hyphen, which connects the formal parlors to the rest of the house, is the banquet sized dining room, which was enlarged during an 1850 renovation and rumored to be the location of the creation of the state of West Virginia. Beyond the dining room is a large kitchen, boasting an original cooking fireplace, modern stainless steel appliances, custom granite countertops and both a breakfast room and back staircase to the second floor bedroom area. The second floor offers a grand master bedroom and bath, a second bedroom or sitting room, where the Marquis de Lafayette stayed during his visit, as well as a large library and two additional bedrooms and bath. The upper level offers two additional bedrooms and bath and views of the City. When this house was originally built, the owner could look down from his widow's walk on the rooftop to see his ships arrive in the port city of Old Town. The house itself offers over 6,000 square feet of gracious living space, there is also a floored walk up attic and a brick floored basement with over 2,000 square feet of space - possibly a future wine cellar! There are 11 wood burning fireplaces in the house and gated access to the walled garden both front and rear. The gardens were designed by a Scotsman, believed to have been visiting the area while the house was being built and offers brick pathways, a serene pond and gazebo.
The listing content relating to real estate for sale on this web site is courtesy of MRIS. Listing information comes from various brokers who participate in the MRIS IDX. Properties listed with brokerage firms other than COMPASS are marked with the MRIS Logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. The properties displayed may not be all the properties available. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All listing information copyright MRIS 2019.
Listing information last updated on December 10th, 2019 at 10:15pm EST.